Posted by Thursday, May 19, 2011on
SEM, SERP, PR1, PR2… what? Don't worry, I don't want to confuse you with these IT-savy terms, instead, I want to show you useful tips that you can easily follow to improve your website ranking in Google (and others), you don't need a doctorate in ComputerSciences, just a little HTML knowledge and common sense.
Keywords, keywords, keywords. People search for keywords, Search Engines crawl websites for keywords…, and so, you must include your keywords. On every page, identify 1-3 main keywords and try to include them on the places shown below.
Content. Search engines love good content, and is what all is about. One expects that searching for a keyword, will be presented with the websites which content best fit to what we are looking for. So, write good content, useful and interesting, and people will start linking to you, as more incoming links you get, better ranking and more traffic you gain.
1. Title. It will show on the window title of your browser, and also it is used as the link to your site in Google. Put a short description for each page and try to include your main keywords. Max chars = 70, less than maybe is few to describe a webpage, more than and chances are it is trimmed out in the search results. And 70 is a good number to remember.
<title>Search Engine Optimization for beginners</title>
2. Meta Tags. Metatags are invisible elements used to describe the content of each web page, some show in the search results. They go in the HEAD section of the HTML document, together with the TITLE element.
- Meta Description. It describes in more detail what the web page is about. Max chars = 150. You can go beyond this limit, but 150 chars are more than enough. Include your keyword here as well.
<meta name="description" content="Useful tips for search engine optimization that everyone can follow" />
- Meta Keywords. This has felt out in importance and some search engines crawlers even don't read them anymore, but if you can, why not put them? no one knows for sure whether it can make a difference at one point. Include your keywords here, in plural and separated by a comma (,) symbol. Max chars= 100.
<meta name="keywords" content="seo, search engine optimization, seo tips, seo guidelines, seo basic" />
3. H1. It stands for Header Level 1, use it for the main (first) title on your web page, again, include main keywords here. Sometimes can be same as the TITLE element, but if possible, make it vary a little, change the order, spell it different, etc.
<h1>Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for beginners</h1>
4. Image ALT. The image tags provide a property for “alternative text" to describe the image being shown; it is displayed if the image is broken. Use it and include more keywords in it.
<img src="seo-basics.jpg" alt="basic tips for SEO" />
5. Link TITLE. Similar to images, links also provide a place for alternative text, this text is also shown when the mouse passes over the link. You guessed it, yes, put more keywords here please.
<a href="seo-tips.html" title="more seo tips">see more seo tips</a>
6. ALT or TITLE.When you have both image and link, use only the ALT, don't use the TITLE.
<a href="seo-tips.html"><img src="seo-basics.jpg"alt="basic tips for SEO" /></a>
Do these 6 steps and you will see a significant improvement in your traffic (you can use Google Analytics to measure it, is free and is good).