Posted by Thursday, May 19, 2011on
This is a second part of an article about basic SEO tips you can follow to improve your website ranking and traffic in Search Engines. For this second part, you may need more knowledge of HTML and more control over the code and website files.
1. Filenames. Give your files a descriptive name, and use the dash (-) symbol to separate the words instead of blank spaces.
- An image file for tips about SEO: seo-tips.jpg
- A pdf file on SEO guidelines: seo-guidelines.pdf
2. Url name. If this is under your control, do same as with the file names, it helps both humans and search bots to better know what is your web page about, and also makes it easier for users to remember and type on a browser.
3. UL lists. This may be beyond your control, but is worth to mention, as it has a big impact on how search bots crawl your page looking for links to follow. Use it for menus, and other navigation links.
<ul> <li><a href="seo-for-beginners.html" title="Basic SEO tips">SEO for beginners</a></li> <li><a href="seo-for-advanced.html" title="Avanced SEO tips">SEO for advanced</a></li> </ul>
4. Table-less. Finally but not less important, ask your programmer use DIV instead or TABLE. DIV are easier to be crawled by search engines bots, and also have a good impact on your web page download speed.
<div> <h1>SEO for Beginners</h1> <p>Some basic tips for search engine optimization that everyone can follow</p> </div>
5. Spelling. Try your best to avoid typos or misspelling. You can use a text editor (like MS Word) to write your content first, and then use to publish it online.
More useful resources on SEO:
- SEOMOZ. One of the top SEO companies, its website offers a lot of information on how to achieve good SEO results. http://www.seomoz.org
- SEOBook. Useful information and easy SEO tips. http://www.seobook.com/
- SEO cheat sheet. A short table with summarized information on what to look at the optimization for a website page. http://www.seomoz.org/blog/the-web-developers-seo-cheat-sheet